Despite the advancements in dental care, there are millions of people throughout the U.S. that are still losing their teeth. Until recently, the only tooth replacement options were dentures, partials and bridges. Today, patients have another option, dental implants.
Dental Implants Are Available at Athens Smiles
Whether an individual is missing a single tooth, several teeth in a row, or in multiple locations throughout the individual’s mouth, dental implants can replace not just the visible portion of the tooth, but the root of the tooth as well. Furthermore, a patient who has lost all his or her natural teeth, can use dental implants to restore the entire arch of missing teeth. These teeth look authentic. Dental implants also feel and function just like natural teeth.
Patients who are good candidates for dental implants are those who:
- Have lost one or more of their natural teeth.
- Have a healthy mouth with oral tissues that are free of periodontal disease.
- Have an adequate amount of jawbone remaining to keep the implants securely in place or, if the jawbone has deteriorated, he or she must be willing/able to have a bone graft in those areas.
- Would like to improve their speech.
- Do not have any type of health issue that would affect the healing process.
- Do not smoke tobacco. Besides tobacco use increasing the likelihood of developing gum disease and discoloring the teeth, the nicotine in tobacco is a vasoconstrictor. As a vasoconstrictor, nicotine narrows the blood vessels, reducing blood flow to the wound. This blood flow reduction inhibits the ability of the body to heal itself.
- Are unwilling, or unable to wear dentures or partials.
Although surgically placing an implant usually takes about an hour, achieving long-term results requires careful planning; therefore, patients must be willing to take the time required to complete the dental implant process.
At Athens Smiles, every patient receives a custom-designed dental treatment plan. If you are interested in learning more about dental implants, or any of the other services available at Athens Smiles, contact the office at 1-903-675-4124 to schedule an appointment.